Experiencing “White Ferrari”

Whenever I feel lost, which has been feeling like a lot nowadays, one of my favorite songs to listen to is "White Ferrari" by Frank Ocean, so I chose it today for my "Experiencing Poetry." This is the song:


White Ferrari
Frank Ocean

Bad luck to talk on these rides
Mind on the road, your dilated eyes
Watch the clouds float, white Ferrari
Had a good time
(Sweet 16, how was I supposed to know anything?)
I let you out at Central
I didn't care to state the plain
Kept my mouth closed
We're both so familiar
White Ferrari, good times

Stick by me, close by me
You were fine
You were fine here
That's just a slow body
You left when I forgot to speak
So I text to speech, lesser speeds
Texas speed, yes
Basic takes its toll on me,
Eventually, eventually, yes
Ah, on me eventually, eventually, yes

I care for you still and I will forever
That was my part of the deal, honest
We got so familiar
Spending each day of the year, White Ferrari
Good times
In this life, life
In this life, life

One too many years
Some tattooed eyelids on a facelift
Mind over matter is magic
I do magic
If you think about it it'll be over in no time
And that's life

I'm sure we're taller in another dimension
You say we're small and not worth the mention
You're tired of movin', your body's achin'
We could vacay, there's places to go
Clearly this isn't all that there is
Can't take what's been given
But we're so okay here, we're doing fine

Primal and naked
You dream of walls that hold us imprisoned
It's just a skull, least that's what they call it
And we're free to roam

I've never fallen in love, but I think about love a lot and far more than I'd like to, so I can understand the place the speaker comes from when he laments about his unrequited love for the person he’s speaking to.

A line that always stands out to me is “I'm sure we're taller in another dimension / You say we're small and not worth the mention.” If there was love that was once reciprocated between the speaker and the person he’s talking to, then it’s fizzled out due to diverging wants. Similarly, I’m constantly living in a state of regret over the disparity that exists between who I am and who I wish I was. My heart wants one thing, but my mind is telling me another, and constantly needing to reconcile the two is tiring.


"White Ferrari" is a song about love, but I don’t see it as a love song, but as one more about growing up — as someone trying to piece together deeply profound experiences to understand their place in the world — which is why it still resonates with me.

Lastly, here's my (bad) attempt at a short poem that tries to tie in some of the language in the song and is also about growing up, but more specific to me:

should’ve kept the stories i wrote
in bundled fits by nightlight
instead of crumbling them up,
throwing them away like nothing
but how was i to know better
(seven-years-old and already a perfectionist?)

i’m sure in another life
i wouldn’t have spent so long trying to contain what was out of my control
and i’m sure in another life
i would be able to forgive myself for what i didn’t know.

I love this song so much, and I hope that now you can also enjoy it a little bit more.💌

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Marriage

The Monsters We Love