On Marriage

 

I have always been a hopeless romantic. More tragically, I've never been in love.

Of course, I want to fall in love, but it's difficult to do so if you're not Rory Gilmore or any other main character in a rom-com or coming-of-age TV show. I never lose sight of the possibility that one day, I, too, can be in love — to see myself so clearly reflected in another that life gleans a higher meaning.

In spite of this, I have never been one to obsess over marriage. I love the idea of love, but I balk at the idea of "forever." Even the term "soulmate" scares me a little. Maybe being so young explains some of this, but I feel like I'm also just really drawn to the feeling of being swept off my toes and none of the other great complexities a relationship brings.

The article this post was based on, "Why You Will Marry the Wrong Person," mentioned that spouses often aren't fit for each other because they don't get to know each other well enough before they commit to the bit. In a similar note, I think the idea of marriage repels me so much because I'm unsure of how well two strangers can ever really know another. We all operate on different minds and hearts in the end, so is marriage just a lifetime of trying to unravel the layers of our being, in an effort to get as close to a true understanding of our partner as possible?

But, I'm thinking ahead of myself. I need to fall in love first.💌

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Monsters We Love

Experiencing “White Ferrari”